Saturday, January 23, 2016

In the Kitchen : Whole30 Buffalo Shepherds Pie



Me: I really need to buckle down and loose some weight this year.


Lynette (my mother in love): Yeah me too..Lets do a juice cleanse!

Me: Yeah....I don't think I have the mental capacity for that.....

the next day

Lynette: Lets do Whole30!!!

Me: Ok! What is it?!

Lynette: I'm not sure......But I know we can do it!

And that my friends.. is my pre Whole30 story.  No idea what we are doing, we just jumped in feet first, and haven't looked back. We already are pretty conscious of the food that we choose, but not all the time... Lord knows I love me some cheeseburgers and apple pie ok.. Reading the lists of food that we had to do with out for the next 30 days at first seems like a huge GIANT test of my will. (Not Lynette's, she's actually Super Woman) Here we are 13 days in, and I'm getting in the groove of cooking actually delicious food! Welcome Buffalo shepherds pie~ish .....ok really I found this recipe, and adapted it to me, well, cleaning out my fridge, and using everything that would go to waste. Here we go!

Gather veggies of all kinds. And chop them up. 
Meanwhile, you should be preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. For your lovely white sweet potatoes.




Once the oven is ready, poke the potatoes with a fork...and stick them in the oven to bake. Now.. if you are pressed for time you could boil these spuds, but really....baking is far mo betta. They get all sweet and creamy! But do what you want. You live your dream!



Add 1...only 1... slice of Whole30 approved bacon to a pan that is oven safe. If you are like me and don't love doing dishes. If you enjoy dishes then a regular ol skillet is just fine.

Let the bacon crisp up a bit, then remove it from the pan, then add your carrots, celery, and onion.

Let these babies cook on med low heat till they are just about tender. That should take about 5 min or so. Next Add the rest of your veggies of choice. We here have, zucchini, cabbage, and mushrooms. Let these cook for about 10 min, till they are slightly caramelized and tender...

Once they are ready remove them from the pan ( I really don't want to do a lot of dishes ok)

Add ground buffalo, or beef, or chicken.. whatever kind of animal you choose. Or leave it out and this meal would be totally vegetarian. Let the meat brown then add the herbs and spices. Along with your tomato sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Stir and add about half of a cup of bone broth, and let this simmer for about 10 min.

Add the veggies back in... turn the heat to low and let it simmer till the potatoes are done. You can even stop here and put this in the fridge if you want to do a meal prep type thing.

Check your potatoes, if a fork can easily go in, they are good to go. pull them out cut them in half so they can cool off a bit. 

Once they are cool enough to handle, scoop out the fluffy goodness into a bowl with a teeny bit of coconut oil, and some salt. Then mash these suckers up. All I needed to mash them was a wooden spoon. They get so soft and lovely from the roasting!






Now we assemble the pie, and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 min.

And out comes this beauty.

Top it with some bacon, add some pepper to your taste. And dig in! Whole30 approved! 

1 comment :